Wednesday 23 April 2014

Pots of Fun

       Here is something else I found to make with the aluminium tape technique. Hartleys jam comes in lovely vase shaped jars so I just couldn't throw them out, I know they'd be melted down and used again, but I like to think I've saved the fuel costs of transport and heating by re-purposing them myself.
    I have used Tando Creative Mini Shapes to stick on my jar, they are a local company so that's less fuel miles too. I have covered the rim of the jar with a strip of cardboard taken from a cereal packet to hide the ridges where the screw top lid goes.
    Once all shapes where stuck on I began to cut pieces of aluminium tape from the reel to stick on the jar. Using smallish pieces makes it easier to cope with curvature of the jar, there are a few wrinkles but I like to think this adds to the weathered look of the finished vase.
    The tape has been stuck over the rim and down into the jar by about half an inch to secure the cardboard cover and make the whole thing water tight.
     When placing the tape over a shape I have eased it down around the shape carefully, then gone around it with the largest ball tool I have, making sure not to tear the tape. I did on a few occasions so I had to add another bit of tape over the top to cover it up, it doesn't show due to the random pattern of pieces.

     Once the whole jar was covered with tape I then went around all the shapes and gave them some pattern, because the shapes are softer than the glass you can make marks in the tape quite easily. I have also gone around some of the tape joins and made small dents to look like rivets.
    All these marks show much more when you rub black acrylic paint over the jar, allow to dry for a few minutes and then wipe away most, but not all, of the paint. The paint will get into all the marks and joins giving the shiny vase an aged look.
    As the jar is glass it will hold water for flowers or it can be used to house paint brushes. It is however, not dishwasher safe!  I'm really enjoying making these so my poor hubby will have to eat more jam! Tando Creative make more mini's than just flowers and butterflies so I'm waiting to see what else comes in the new order at Aldridge Crafts.  Guess what everyone will be getting for Christmas this year?!


I would like to enter my vase in the following challenges:

Tando Creative - Recycle
Die Cuttin Divas - Recycle (must include a die cut) Die cut extras on some flowers.
Shopping Our Stash - Earth Day, Recycle
Through The Purple Haze - Creativity Strikes!
Through The Darkroom Door - Anything Goes

15 comments:

  1. Oh, what a fantastic idea to use our Tando mini shapes!!!! Thank you for sharing this with us at Tando Creative, this is really a wonderful project of recycling!! Coco x

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very clever!! Love those paper flowers too. Great recycling project. TFS at DCD this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you: some of those jars are just too pretty to throw away, or even recycle. You've done a gorgeous job here with the foil tap, and you can be proud every time you use one of your up-cycled vases.

    Thanks for joining us at Shopping Our Stash!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhhhhhh fantastic recycle / upcycle project!!! Love it!! Thanks for playing along with us at Shopping Our Stash for the Earth Day challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous! Must get some of this tape - I love it! Karen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so cool! I love how you made this vase! So creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's so wonderful when recycling can give you something so beautiful!! Love what you have done!! Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges!
    Darcy

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW! I really like this Rocky! It looks really effective! Thank you so much for sharing this with us over at Tando xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing.....beautiful work....and very different.

    Fiona DT
    TTPH

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is such an awesome recycle project!!! What a great job!!

    Thank you for joining us at Die Cuttin Divas!!
    Shelly

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow thats awesome how clever love it! thanks for stopping by my blog today hugs me x

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is so creative, I love it x
    Thank you for joining in our challenge TTPH Good luck x

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's really fun and creative!!! I love those Harley's jars too, and lucky you for having Tando local to you! They create amazing things.

    Thanks for joining us at Through the Purple Haze Challenges.

    Lucy DT x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab project, Thanks for joining us at TTPH.xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. WowI what a transformation, great idea to use metallic tape this way! Before I started card making I used to decorate jam jars and make them into tea candle light holders, but this jar is perfect for flowers!

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.