Monday 14 December 2015

Twinkle, Twinkle


     Several months ago I bought a kit to make 15 German Stars, last night I sat down and made them all, plus a few gold ones. I like to have something a little different on the table at Christmas, nothing too tall, so I have filled a bowl with the stars and added some battery operated LED lights.

      The kit had full pictorial instructions with it but I found a YouTube tutorial much easier to follow, here's the link to part one, you can reach part two from there.
     Once I had done four with the tutorial I could carry one and make the rest with out it, next week may be a different story!

      Having made so many I would suggest cutting the ends to a blunt point as it makes them easier to thread through, don't pull too tight and don't crease the paper unless it tells you to.
     I wanted a few gold stars in with these patterned ones so I had to work out the size of the strip needed. The paper needs to be about 120gsm, patterned both sides and long enough to be a continuous strip. This limits things slightly as most papers only have pattern on one side and the biggest I have is 12x12 inches (about 30cm).
     The kit had strips of 86cm for the large star and 45cm for the medium star. I could only get a maximum of 30cm in length from an A4 sheet, this meant the strip had to be no more than 1cm wide, finding gold on both sides was easy.
     I placed a medium star in the bottom and built the large ones around the outside, keeping one for the top. I mixed in the lights, medium stars and the gold stars as I went, finishing with the battery pack on top covered by the last large star.
     This would be a great way to use up strips of patterned paper, make half a star as a gift wrapping topper. It doesn't have to be Christmas paper, these stars would look great for a birthday or a congratulatory party piece. If you have the time you could stamp a pattern on both sides of the paper or a message.


I would like to enter my star bowl in the following challenges:
Sparkles Monthly - Anything But A Card
The Sisters Of Craft - Anything Goes
Simply Papercraft - Anything Goes
The Glory Of Christmas - Anything Goes

5 comments:

  1. looks good - way too fiddly for me though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a unique & beautiful project!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work. Thank you for joining the challenge at The Glory of Christmas. Hope to see you again next time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is beautiful. Thank you for joining in with the Sisters of Craft challenge, good luck in the voting and we hope to see you again. Crafty Blessings. Tracy SOC DT x We now also have a Sisters of Craft Facebook Group where you share your makes, find inspiration and take part in mini challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How gorgeous is your bowl of folded stars. It's nice to see something different. Thanks for entering the Christmas challenge at Through the Purple Haze, Jackie DT x

    ReplyDelete

This blog does not allow anonymous comments.